Last Friday I finally finished Mackenzie’s baby quilt. I got the idea in my head after reading about the quilt Keli made for her baby Lucy, but it seemed much too hard for a sewing novice like me. (Because I am. I have never taken a class or a lesson EVER, except hot pads in home ec, which I was terrible at.)
I decided to give it a try and spent many evenings searching for fabric and trying to match the crib bedding I made for Mackenzie last summer. I found two patterns – one in Lotta Jansdotter’s book Simple Sewing for Baby and one in Amy Butler’s book Little Stitches for Little Ones. I decided to go with the pattern by Amy Butler. I also had to get my sewing machine repaired, but eventually, it all came together beautifully.
Mackenzie likes it, and that’s what matters most. It’s amazing how special and fulfilling it is to create and make things for her, especially now that she’s here. I have my eyes on a baby shoe pattern for her next, and then maybe we’ll tackle a baby dress project.