Some Stories Just Have to be Told

October 15, 2011

Do you ever have a morning that seems like it was pulled straight out if a sitcom, except you’re the one living it, and it’s just not that funny?

Friday morning was like that for me.

Our morning routine yesterday was the same as usual, except that we were running about 15 minutes behind. We try to leave the house at 7:30, but Chris was exhausted from working all night on Wednesday, and so we were just a bit behind.

We dropped Chris off at about 8:05, and then Mackenzie and I drove to her daycare. She was super talkative on the way there until we were about five minutes away. It was close to 8:30, and since she woke up at 6:30, I assumed she was tired.

Never assume.

When we arrived I opened the door to the back seat and thought, “Hmm, something doesn’t seem right. Do I smell something?” But Mackenzie was frowning at me, so I said, “Don’t worry, sweetie, we’re going to go inside, and you’re going to play, and it’s all going to be okay.” I pulled her out of her car seat, put her on my hip, grabbed her things, and closed the car door.

When we got to her classroom, I pulled her away from my waist to set her down and felt something wet on her back. I asked immediately if I could change her. I pulled her away from my waist and saw poo everywhere. All down my shirt, on my sleeve, on her sleeves, out the top and bottoms of her pants, on her socks.

So the next 15 minutes were spent locating Mackenzie’s diapers and wipes and change of clothes, changing her, soaping down and bleaching the changing area, getting her dressed, running to the car for a clean pair of socks, and then having a conversation with her teacher about her winter boots not being “good” shoes. (That about put me over the edge. The teacher was clearly having a bad morning and did not want to put Mackenzie’s boots on her when she took them off.)

But I got Mackenzie changed and dressed and settled at the breakfast table just in time for some banana bread, which she loves.

After I left I had to call in late to work and explain. Luckily, I work with some women who are also moms, and they thought it was hilarious.

Since I had poo all over me, I had to change. My best bet was to run to Target, which I did, but it took 20 minutes to get there (still closer than the 40 minutes to my house). I ran in, bought a shirt, and decided I would have to change in the car.

And then, lo and behold, the local high school has blocked off half the main road for their homecoming parade.


So I was an hour late, driving alongside the parade, trying to find a clear spot of highway to change my shirt. Which I did. Eventually.

Hope that made you laugh a little. Have a lovely weekend. 🙂

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Jen October 17, 2011 at 9:50 pm

    oh my. what a crappy morning. (sorry, I couldn’t resist. heh)


  • Reply keli October 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

    it did make me laugh!! thank you! 😉


  • Reply Hope October 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm

    Ack! That is both hilarious and disgusting all at the same time. :p


  • Leave a Reply