I hope you and your families had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did. We just returned early this evening from visiting my Mom in Missouri.
We left early on Wednesday morning, and Lea rode with us. The trip didn’t start off super great — I woke up sick with a sore throat and cough. Mackenzie must not have been feeling well, either, because she threw up all over herself and her car seat about 45 minutes into the drive.
Thank goodness for Chris and Lea. They tackled that mess like nobody’s business while I changed Mackenzie in the ladies’ room at the closest gas station.
Everything was smooth sailing from there. We arrived at Mom’s with plenty of time for Chris to brine the turkey. Mackenzie and her cousins Madison and Patchen exchanged early Christmas gifts. They had so much fun and were so well behaved.
On Thursday we all cooked and cooked and cooked. And ate and ate. Chris did an incredible job on the turkey – his first! Mom made the stuffing, her awesome dinner rolls, and two pies. Lea made mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and corn. Even Mackenzie helped grate cheese.
On Friday we went to one of Mom’s favorite flea markets (where we all scored something wonderful) and then took the kids to Jumpmania to bounce around for a while.
Saturday morning came too early. Mackenzie caught my cold and spent the night coughing and trying to get comfortable. We packed up, picked up bagels for breakfast, and headed to Mom’s to say our goodbyes.
The drive home gave me plenty of time to ponder the trip. In keeping with the holiday, here are ten things I am thankful for.
- Hearing Mackenzie say, “Ga-am-maw.”
- Watching Mackenzie and Mom play together. We joked that Grandma was Mackenzie’s new favorite toy. ;/)
- So incredibly blessed and thankful for Mom’s good health.
- Getting to see my little sister and my youngest niece & nephew. They are so sweet and growing up so fast!
- Watching the three little cousins play so well together.
- Incredible traveling weather.
- The finances to have our Jeep repaired before the trip. God’s provision is so timely and perfect.
- For a husband who works so hard and still manages to put family time first.
- For Lea and all the incredible, unspoken ways she supports and helps and loves us. I am so, so glad she is here.
- For a wonderful, intensely loving family.